Sunday 13 April 2014

BISHOP AUCKLAND FOOD FESTIVAL

Welly gives home-baked biscuits wag of approval

TASTY treats for man’s best friend will be on offer from a fledgling business visiting the Bishop Auckland Food Festival.
Darlington and Stockton Times: TAKING THE BISCUIT: Alison’s dog Welly stands guard over home-baked Wellybix treatsTAKING THE BISCUIT: Alison’s dog Welly stands guard over home-baked Wellybix treats
Alison Walton set up Wellybix after making her dog Welly some biscuits before Christmas 2012.
The keen baker, of Romaldkirk, near Barnard Castle, received such positive feedback after handing out the treats as presents to friends with dogs, she decided to set up her own business.
Less than 12 months on, Wellybix products are on sale in more than 20 outlets, and Mrs Walton is looking forward to sharing them with more people at this month’s food festival.
Mrs Walton said: “I had to give up work to care for my mother and it was at that point I thought I can now have a dog.
Darlington and Stockton Times: BIGGEST FAN: Alison Walton, of Romaldkirk, has set up a dog biscuit company Wellybix after her dog Welly fell in love with her bakingBIGGEST FAN: Alison Walton, of Romaldkirk, has set up a dog biscuit company Wellybix after her dog Welly fell in love with her baking
“I decided one day to make some biscuits for Welly, which is where the (company) name came from and it just went from there.
“I started to research it on the internet and discovered it is the fastest-growing new start-up business in America. I got loads of ideas, made them and handed them out. People said I should sell them.
“Welly is my chief tester. I tell him he is the happiest dog in County Durham. He has a choice of biscuits available.”
She started selling them at craft fairs, but now plans to expand her audience with a number of food festivals, including Bishop Auckland and Leyburn.
In addition to biscuits, she is now selling dog cupcakes, which are also proving very popular.
“I am very passionate about what I am doing and I think that is the driving force. I haven’t been to the Bishop Auckland Food Festival before, so I don’t know what to expect.
“I make everything fresh, so I will have a lot of work to do in the days leading up to it, but I am looking forward to it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment